Toolshelf.co.uk works very hard to being you only the best reviews and guides. Today we bring to you the best lawn mower guide for grass 2018. Depending on your lawn size, landscape design, and budget can make a huge difference when choosing a lawn mower for your home. There are so many brands, makes, models and styles to choose from, where do you start? ToolShelf.co.uk has compiled a list with the best lawnmower for different situation to make choosing a lawnmower a much more obvious decision. Lets dive right in a take a look!
Best Lawn Mower for Stripes
- The rear grass flap has a vision window so the user can see when the collector is full.
- The Princess 42 also benefits from a 1 year warranty.
The Mountfield Princess 42 is an electric rotary lawn mower with a rear roller that produces a beautiful stripped finish. The Princess 42 is a three-in-one type lawnmower, meaning you can collect, discharge or mulch the grass while cutting your lawn. This lawn mower is equipped with a 50 litre grass collector, 1800 watts motor, six position cut height adjustment (25 – 75 mm) and only weights 14 kgs. Backed with a 1 year warranty, If your looking the best lawn mower for stripes, the Mountfield princess 42 is your best bet.
- Rear wheel roller for stripe effect
- 1 year warranty
- Very light weight
- Compact for easy storage
- Grass box design has flaws
Best Lawn Mower for a Small Garden
- The Rotak 32 lawnmower is ideal for small and mid-sized gardens
- Thanks to its grass comb, the Rotak 32 cuts effortlessly along walls, flower beds and lawn edges
- Weighing just 6.8 kg, it is easy to steer around obstacles and transport
The Bosch Rotak 32R is by far the best lawn mower for small gardens. It’s compact t and extremely weight coming in at 6.8 kg. This feature makes it exceptionally easy to transport, store, maneuver and steer. It’s designed with a grass comb that helps when cutting around flower beds and walls and it good for lawns up to 150 m². Not only is this an extremely light weight lawn mower but it comes in at a great price point. Equipped with a 1200 watt motor and a 3 year manufacturing warranty its a no brainier why this is best lawn mower for small gardens.
- Great size for small gardens
- Extremely Light weight
- Compact design
- Easy to manouver
- Good edging feature
- Not designed for thick or wet grass
Best Lawn Mower for Damp Grass
- Engine: RS100 OHV
- Cutting Width: 41cm /16"
- Chassis: Steel
- Drive: Self Propelled
- Warranty: 5 Years (Terms & Conditions Apply)
Although I highly suggest not cutting your lawn when its wet or damp, the Mountfield S421R PD is self a self propelled lawn mower with very durable build and a powerful engine. Cutting your grass wet is always hard on both you and your lawn mower, not to mention it’s usually a grassy mess. However, if you have no other option, this lawn mower is a complete tank. It comes built with a 100 cc motor, 55 litre hard top grass collector, large steel deck, self propelled and its all backed with a 5 year warranty. Although its quite heavy weighing 31 kg, the durability, warranty and sheer power of this lawnmower is what makes it the best lawn mower for damp grass.
- Durable build
- 5 year warranty
- Self propelled
- Good in damp environments
Best Lawn Mower for Bad Backs
A large sloping garden can take a lot of work to keep maintained with a bad back, especially if you own a lawn with many odd shaped garden beds or walkways. The Flymo 1200 R is a robotic lawn mower that cuts and mulch’s grass with a set and forget design. Once you install the barriers and get everything set up, the Flymo 1200 R does the best of the work for you. It’s built specifically for lawn up to 400 square metres square and irregular garden shapes that might be hard to cut. The brilliant lawn mower design by Flymo is not only affordable but it does a great job. It cuts you lawn on a daily basis and fertilizes it at the same time resulting in a beautiful lush lawn. The Flymo 1200 R is the best lawn mower for bad backs because you simply don’t have to cut the grass if you own one.
- 18 v 1.6 Ah Lithium-ion Battery. Maximum incline within the working area: 14 °, Cutting width: 17 cm, Cutting height max: 50 mm, Cutting height: min: 20 mm.
- Working area 400 m2 +/- 20%
- Area Capacity 30 m2/hr
- Effortless Ride on Lawn mower
- Powerful engine
- Mulching plug to reduce clean up
- 6 drive settings
- Not ideal for smaller lawns
Best Lawn Mower for Cutting Grass Short
- Folds away for neat and tidy storage
- Floats on a cushion of air and cuts easily in any direction
- Transport rollers and quick fold handles
- Easy to remove 20 L collector compacts grass
- 1400 watt power supply
The Flymo Easi Glide 330VX Electric Hover lawn mower is a popular lawn mower and for good reason. Not only is it Light weight, but it’s also compact and folds away for easy storage. Because of its hover technology, its extremely easy maneuver, especially when cutting grass around odd shaped garden beds or pathways. It’s Built with a 1300 watt motor, 20 litre Compact grass collector with transparent viewing window and a 33 cm cutting width. Because of its super low cutting depth of 10 – 30 mm the Easi Glide 330VX is the best lawn mower for cutting grass short.
- Light weight
- Compact for easy storage
- Ergonomic hover Design
- 10 – 20 mm cut heights
- Extremely easy to operate
- Small grass collector
Best Lawn Mower for Steep Slopes UK
- 3.6KW Hyundai ohv 4-stroke 173cc engine, providing easy starting with low fuel consumption.
- Push button electric start and pull start.
- REAR WHEEL DRIVE, 51cm cutting width ideal for small to medium sized lawns.
We all know how hard it can be to cut grass on a steep slope without the proper lawn mower. The Hyundia HYM510SPE is self propelled lawn lower built with strong 4-speed drive 173 cc engine. Because of the variable speed drive, engine power and quality of this lawn mower, you can see why it has no problems tackling steep slopes or hills. The Hyundia HYM510SPE is not only the best lawn mower for steep slopes UK, it’s a great choice in general. Build with a steel 51 cm cutting deck, 70 litre hard top grass bag and mulching plug, it can pretty much handle any small to medium size yards with ease. Built with 6 different cutting heights from 25 – 75 mm, electric start with pull start backup, easy fold design for storage, low fuel consumption engine and backed by a 3 year warranty, you can see why this lawn mower is the best lawn mower for steep slopes UK.
- Powerful 4-speed engine
- 70 Litre grass bag
- Easy fold desgin for storage
- 3 year warranty
- Low fuel consumption
- Not budget friendly
Best Lawn Mower for Long Grass
Frisky Fox PLUS 20" 5.5hp Self Propelled Petrol Lawn Mower 4 in 1 Mulching, Cutting, Collecting & Side Discharge Powered...
- WOLF 'DYNAMIC' 5.5HP 4 STROKE PETROL ENGINE
- SINGLE LEVER HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT RANGING BETWEEN 25mm to 75mm
- SELF PROPELLED VIA GEARBOX WITH THROTTLE SPEED CONTROLLER
- 4 IN 1 FACILITY: CUT, CUT&COLLECT, MULCHE OR SIDE DISCHARGE
The Frisky Fox plus is a 4 in 1 self propelled lawn mower built with a 5.5 HP engine. Not only does it look sharp, pun intended, the Frisky Fox Plus is built with quad blade technology and a powerful engine. The sheer power of the engine and quad blade technology makes this the best lawn mower for long grass. The Frisky Fox comes equipped with a 4 in 1 design for mulching, cutting and discharging, 25 – 75 mm cut height with easy single leaver height adjustment, 508 mm blade width, durable steel deck and a 50 litre grass bag. Although its not compact and quite heavy, if your looking for the best lawn mower for long grass, this is definitely the right machine for you.
- Quad blade technology
- Powerful 5.5 Hp engine
- Self propelled with a variable drive
- 4 in 1 cut design with mulch plug
- Single leaver height adjustment
- Not light or compact
Best Lawn Mower for Under £100
- The ideal lawnmower for first time home buyers as it cuts medium to large sized gardens
- Designed to be simple and easy to use with useful carry handle and an easy to remove grass box
- Choose your ideal cutting height with a choice of five settings between 20 to 60 mm, easily adjustable with a central handle
If your a new home owner and looking for a lawn mower that fits your budget, the Flymo Speedi-Mo 360C is the best lawn mower for under £100. Extremely light weight, compact and easy to use, this is a great lawn mower for whole family to operate. Built with a 1500 watts electric motor, 40 litre gras box for small to medium lawn, and a 36 cm cutting blade. It also features 5 different cutting heights from 20 – 60 mm that can be easily adjusted with a single lever. Weighing 11.5 kg, a carrying handle for easy transportation and a quick fold design for easy compact storage. Because of the Flymo Speedi-Mo 360C features, easy operation and compact light design, this is the best lawn mower for under £100.
- Light weight with handle
- Compact for storage
- Easy operation
- 1500 W electric motor
- 40 litre grass box
- Not a good lawn mower for large lawns
Best Lawn Mower for Large Sloping Garden
Tiger TM5120SP 51cm (20") Self Propelled Petrol Lawn Mower, Briggs & Stratton engine, 2 yr Warranty, Free Delivery, 65L Grass...
- Powerful Briggs & Stratton 625e ReadyStart Engine Creates High Torque, Efficient Power
- 4in1 Collection System:- Collect, Mulch, Side & Rear Discharge
- Self-Propelled Drive allows Ease of Use and aids Cutting on Larger Gardens
Briggs & Stratton is one of the best Small engine companies world wide are knows for their long lasting quality built engines. The Tiger TM5120Sp is build with a Powerful, high torque, 625e Briggs & Stratton engine and is self propelled making is extremely efficient when cutting large sloped gardens. Equipped with a 65 litre grass bag, 10 grass heights from 15 – 70 mm that are easily adjusted with a single leaver, Strong steel cutting deck, and a powerful high torque engine, It’s a no brainier why this is the best lawn mower for large sloping gardens.
- Durable high toque Briggs & Stratton engine
- 65 L grass bag for large gardens
- 10 Grass hights 15 – 70 mm
- Self propelled for easy operation
- Great value for money
- Confusing manual
Best Lawn Mower for Tiny Lawn
- 38 cm width of cut
- Five bladed cylinder and rear roller
- 15-43 mm height of cut
- 25 L grass box capacity
- Easy to push, high geared side wheels
The Bosch AHM 38 G is a manual cylinder lawn mower that is small, affordably and is the best lawn mower for tiny lawn. It’s build with a 38 cm cut width, 15 – 43 mm cut height, 25 litre grass box, and a high gear 5 blade cutting cylinder. If you own a tiny lawn a big gas powered or electric lawn mower is probably not the best option for you. not only do they take up lots of space but are typically hard to maneuver in tight areas. Not only is it light weight, inexpensive, and compact, but its also quite and efficient when cutting grass. It also comes with a rear roller to give you that nice stripped look and is extremely easy to maneuver and cut against garden beds or in tight areas. Because is its small design, price point and functionality, the Bosch AHM 38 G is the best lawn mower for tiny lawns.
- Compact for easy storage
- Light weight desgin
- Efficient for tiny lawns
- extremely quite
- Not designed for bigger lawn
Best Lawn Mower for Ditches
- 44cm cutting width
- Self propelled. Fuel Tank Capacity: 0.75 Litre
- 140cc Mountfield WB45 OHV engine
- Single lever cutting height adjustment
- 20-70mm cutting height / 5 positions
The Mountfield SP454 is compact, lightweight and self propelled making it the best lawnmower for ditches. Ditches can be tricky to tackle while cutting the lawn but it doesn’t have to be. Having a durable yet lightweight lawn mower that is self propelled is the key to success. The Mounfield SP454 is built with a 140 cc engine, 20 – 70mm cutting height with single lever adjustment, 2 year warranty, and comes with a mulching plug. because its Light weight, self propelled and comes with a durable chassis and engine, the Mounfield SP454 is the best lawnmower for ditches.
- Light weight and easy to store
- Self propelled
- Easy operation for ditches
- 2 year warranty
- Grass collector is a tad small
Best Lawn Mower for Big Garden
- 510mm cutting width, ideal for cutting medium to large sized lawns
- Seven cutting heights adjusted with single height adjuster lever 25mm to 75mm
- Easy starting electric start hyundai 173cc air cooled 4-stroke petrol engine
The Hyundai P1PE P5100SE is probably one of the best lawn mowers on our list and for good reason. Build with a massive 508 mm steel cutting deck, powerful 6 hp 173 cc self propelled engine, seven cutting heights from 25 – 75mm, 60 littre hard top grass bag, electric starter, and fordable handles for storage, you can see why this is the best lawn mower for big gardens. It is heavy, weighing 42 kg, but don’t let that scare you away, the Hyundai P1PE P5100SE not only has all the bells is whiles, but it’s extremely durable, easy to operate and is extremely efficient, making it the best lawn mower for big gardens.
- 508 mm steel cut deck
- Powerful 6 hp 173 cc engine
- 60 Litre grass box
- Fordable Handles for Storage
- Self propelled for easy operation
- Heavy and bulky
Best Lawn Mower for Cutting Edges
Bosch Cordless Lawnmower Rotak 430 LI (2 batteries, 50-litre grassbox, charger, cardboard box, 36 V, cutting width/height: 43 cm/20-70 mm)
- Excellent cutting performance and cut material acceptance thanks to hardened steel blade and innovative air flow technology.
- Perfect finish: the new Power Drive li + system delivers consistently high torque in all conditions.
The Bosch Rotak 430 LI is a sleek looking cordless electric lawnmower with some great features. The features that makes this stand out over the rest are the innovative ergonomic design and edging combs. It’s extremely light weight a, ergonomic, easy to use, and there is no cord required or gas. This lawn mower runs off pure batteries, giving you 36 V of power that delivers power similar to other AC electric lawnmowers. The batteries can be charged in 70 minutes and give you about 30 minutes of cut time. It comes with a 50 l grass box, weights 13.6 kg, has a 3 cm cut width and is good for up to 600 m². Over all its a great lawn mower but the innovative edging combs made by Bosch are what make this the best lawn mower for cutting edges.
- Innovative edging combs
- Light weight and compact
- Cordless electric desgin
- Ergonomic and sleek look
- Only comes with one battery
- Not cheap
Best Lawn Mower for Senior Citizens
- 60SDE 60cm cut Side Discharging Ride on Lawnmower. Powered by an MTD 196cc Single Cylinder Electric Start engine.
- Side discharge only, not capable of grass collection. Suitable for lawns and rough grass areas.
If your a senior citizen you might not have the energy you once did, the last thing on your mind is cutting the lawn, however your lawn doesn’t stop growing and it needs to be done. A more ergonomic designed lawn mower is probably a decent choice, But lets face it, no one wants to be pushing around a lawn mower once you retire. The Lawn-King 60 SDE is the best lawn mower for senior citizens. Not only is the Lawn-King 60 SDE is a riding lawnmower built with a strong 196 cc engine, but it comes with 6 drive setting to tackle any landscape situation you might come across. It doesn’t have a option for grass collection, but it’s build with a Mulching plug that chops the grass and fertilizes your lawn at the same time. Not having to bag or dispose grass is another great reason why the Lawn-King SDE is the best lawn mower for senior citizens.
- Efficient and powerful engine
- Extremely easy to operate
- Requires little to no energy
- 6-drive setting
Best Lawn Mower for Bumpy Lawn
- Cuts close to walls, fences and over edges
- Easy to carry and folds compact for easy storage
- Single lever adjustment of the cutting heights, offering four heights of cut from 13 mm to 32 mm
- Large 30 L grass box
The Flymo Ultra Glide lawn mower is a hover style lawn mower that is designed for uneven terrain and a great option for cutting over edges. Its build with a 1800 watts motor, 30 litre compact grass box, 13 – 32 mm grass height with single lever adjustment, easy fold handles for storage and hover design for easy operation. If you have a bumpy lawn and looking for a great solution the Flymo Ultra Glide is the best lawn mower for bumpy lawns.
- Hover technology
- Great for Bumpy lawns
- Light weight and compact
- Easy to operate
- Not good for slopes